Saturday, November 1, 2014

Women Safety Online - Burning Issue being ignored!!!


Being online, texting, checking out Facebook or YouTube, and IMing is a part of your life. You probably understand how social media and the internet work well than your parents. Sure, social media is fun. It’s a way to stay connected with your friends. Maybe it’s even recommended by some teachers for assignments. But do you know how to use social media safely?

No one actually knows!! When we are using as social networking site, specially being a girl you are vulnerable and nothing can change the fact, except of you yourself. Several of times we have gone thru the news about misuse of the picture from the net or social networking websites. Nowadays with the help of image editing software, it becomes very easy to put face of someone else on any so called offensive image. Sometimes guys use your picture with them, just to show others that they have a girlfriend so beautiful and you hardly know that person. We have also come thru the cases where girls and their family too committed suicide because of those images going viral and reaching the dignity of their family.

Apart from picture editing and misusing, many more issues are faced by those females who use internet. Gender equality on net is a burning issue, nowadays due to all these concern parents of teenaged girls are not allowing their girls to use internet or even if some do allow it is a constant matter of concern for them. Ever thought, what your child is missing? They are missing the knowledge to the huge world and things happening around. Not every girl on net uses it for dating or meeting guys, in fact according to my personal point of view hardly 20% out of total girls on net are there to flirt around or are looking for partners, whereas the ratio of man for the same purpose online is more than 60%.

How can you be safe online? What points need to be kept in mind for your online safety? I am no genius to explain it, but I am here to tell you what I have learnt from my personal experience.

1.    Take Cyber-violence seriously
2.    Tell someone you trust (Parents or Siblings are the best option)
3.    Report cyber-violence or pathetic behaviour faced online
4.    Talk Responsibly
5.    Stay Calm
6.    Be a True friend, Support your friend in need
7.    Remove yourself from the situation
8.    Respect yourself and do whatever is needed to sustain that respect
9.    Take Action
10.  Do not remain silent



Today, I am bringing out this topic after a bad experience myself. Being 31 yrs of age, people yet think I am vulnerable, what could they do to those young teenage girls who hardly know to protect themselves? On Facebook a person who added me just few days back and to whom I had not even talked personally, gave me a call by using the Facebook Messenger. It irritated me and I messaged him back saying that I do not talk on calls, he started asking me casual questions, what do you do and what do u like and where do you live. Seeing his profile, I felt he looks responsible and educated person, coz his profile said he was a general manager at some hotel in Ahmedabad city. But just after few questions his word turned out to praising and not just normal praise but flirty way. I made my point clear at that very time, that I don’t like this kind of flirty talks and then I ignored him at first, stopped replying him. Within just 24 hours of time he sent me about 20 msgs and gave calls on messenger for 9 times. I was truly getting irritated with his behaviour but kept silent cause I wasn’t interested in making a issue.

Finally, he msged me saying ‘You were talking good tomorrow and what happened today, sweetheart?’ It really pinched me and I made a straight point telling him on face and answered him to dare not message me again or else I will make sure that he gets a treatment of his life. It was just a warning or rather say a try to get rid of him, I was then going to block him and do my work. But to my surprise he responded back saying ‘Do whatever you wish to’. The first thing that hurt my mind after his answer was that he is so stubborn. He must be doing this kind of things very often and he is not bothered about the consequences of what could happen, may be because no girl takes a step bold enough to make him realize.

So, I decided to take that bold step. I made an image from the screenshot of the chat we had and pasted it on my wall, with link to his profile and tagged him. I requested my friends to share this post so that it would reach people around and finally reach to some of his known ppl or family members. Only then would he be ashamed about what he did and would think twice before doing it again with any females on net. Thankfully many from my friend circle are spreading the message and I am sure one day he will be ashamed of what he did.

Today I am sharing this incident here with you because I feel this kind of steps needs to be taken by the girls. Of course there are features for blocking the unwanted or abusing people on social networking sites, but that does not make any difference to them. You block him, they start playing with other girls and for them nothing changes. Only their confidence gets raised and they are more motivated to play with the girls online.

Every girl, those who are young enough should share the problems with their parents and take appropriate steps against cyber-violence. And every parent should be responsible enough to understand their kids and also understand that punishment needs to be given to those hurting morons and not your kids. Increase the faith between the two age group and give a chance to your young kids to be friendly with you. And to those ladies who are old enough to decide for themselves, don’t take those constant harassment from unknowns. Warn them when you are not interested in flirting and if they don’t hear you, do what I did, let them talk idiotic and paste the screenshot of the chat online, ask your friends to let it go viral. I am sure the day won’t be far when internet would become a safe place for women too.

Apart from this be-alarmed by few of the talks that you get from stranger, like:
-        Can I have your contact number? (NO, Say straight no)
-        Can we have a video chat? (Ask why, for a knowing a person txt is enough)
-        You are so beautiful and I am eager to meet you. (Only the outer beauty attracts this guy, be alarmed on what he wants from you.)
-        Do you have a boyfriend? (I guess he wants to say, If not I can try to be, you son of b****)
-        You are looking sexy / hot / irresistible  (Tell them to have a look at their mom, it will give them a better idea)
-        I haven’t seen a girl as beautiful as you (Moron and liars, I know what I am, looks like u haven’t seen models and actress on TV)

Girls, my point is don’t ever be dishearten by such people. Let them do their work, but do not stop yourself from doing your job and raising your voice. Join your hands and support each and every female that needs your support. Use to hash tag #SpeakUP and raise voices. We are here to support each and every one of you.

Share the message in the safety of women on net and let those morons understand that, we are no more vulnerable. We are a power!! We are proud to be Women!! Nothing can stop us from moving ahead. 

No comments: