Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Females Can Have Liberty Too!



Feminism is a collection of movements and ideologies aimed at defining, establishing, and defending equal political, economic, and social rights for women. This includes seeking to establish equal opportunities for women in education and employment.


French philosopher Charles Fourier is credited with having originated the word "feminism" in 1837. The words "feminism" and "feminist" first appeared in France and the Netherlands in 1872, Great Britain in the 1890s, and the United States in 1910 and the Oxford English Dictionary lists 1894 as the year of the first appearance of "feminist" and 1895 for "feminism". Today the Oxford English Dictionary defines a feminist as "an advocate or supporter of the rights and equality of women".

 
According to the Oxford English Dictionary and its definition I am not a feminist, but I truly support feminism. Here on my diary I want to mention the true meaning of feminism. Not jut being a woman, not just being a supporter of a woman, but I am proud to belong to a community to which the world calls female. Unlike much mentioned stories I was not an unwanted female child in my family since I was born. My parents were happy to have me and my parents gave me what at that time a male child might would have not acquire. At every point of time, I was given the importance, I was given the freedom and I was given the dignity, especially from my mother. And may be that is the reason when I get to hear about the comments being made on females to cover up their freedom and true gestures, I feel humiliated / disgraced.

 
The high ranked officers, the well knowledgeable politician and some of the reputed people of the society are often manifest to be guiding women on what to wear and what not to wear. Sometimes they are been suggested to not wearing shorts, sometimes they are guided on not putting make ups, at other times they are warned not to go alone around or late at night. Are we following a jungle rule? Strong wins? Or are we living in a well developed, educated and secured society? Can we rather not take measures on preventing the breach against the women; can we not help them live their freedom of life and the freedom of thoughts?

 
No, we are still living in a age old man ruling society where a honourable minister being a male is free to dissent in favour of the rapist saying that he wasn’t responsible for his mistake, it just happened because a female was going out alone at night or because she was well dressed or because she was wearing shorts. BULLSHIT!!! I am against those people, strictly against them who stop women from living their freedom of life and thoughts to protect them. If protecting means covering up, then the day isn’t far when our country would be subsequently following the rules as of Afghanistan.

No comments: